@Joseph_Gomes

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 50th Birthday Mama!

Today is a sad day, but it is also a day of joy and reflection.  Today, I celebrate my mom's 50th birthday, a birthday that she will never see.

At the young age of 44, my beautiful mother lost her battle to multiple myeloma, a debilitating bone marrow cancer. 

Born on July 4th 1963, Dee Ann Devany was abandoned and sent to the local orphanage.  As my grandmother would tell the story..."Walking into the orphanage there were many children just dying for a real home.  But, as I got closer, there was a ray of heavenly light shining upon a bassinet that held the most beautiful baby I had ever seen."  The story seems like more of a fairy tale, but if you knew my mom, it may not have been far from the truth.

That heavenly light followed my mom throughout her short life.  Later it was coined the "Dee Essence", as she could even charm herself into first class without trying.  My beautiful mom would fill any room with her light, her smile, and her amazing curly hair. 

She was not only my mom and my best friend, I feel as though we were put on this earth to guide each other.  She felt that she needed the love she lost when her mom passed, and I was what God had provided.  We walked through life side by side, experiencing everything together...feeling everything together.  There were some tough times, but most of the ones I remember always involve her laugh (which was just as crazy as mine), her beauty, her unbridled kindness and gentleness, and our love. 

Though I understand the importance of the Fourth of July, in my heart it will always be the celebration of the most amazing woman I have ever known.  The woman who showed me how to love others and see them without judgement, to make mistakes, to laugh hard and to cry hard.  She taught me kindness, patience, the power of a smile, and that "if the worst thing that happens to me today is that someone cut me off, it's been a pretty good day."

For me, my mother embodies everything that a person should be (though sometimes she was called "too" nice), and everyday I strive to be like her.  I strive to have what she had, to light the world and make others smile.  I strive to have the heart of gold that had so much compassion for those around her.  So, everyday I live with HOPE on an earth that has lost a little bit of light, but gained a beautiful angel.

I love you to the moon and back Mama, Happy Birthday!







No comments:

Post a Comment